+++ 2019 +++

Homestay Lodging

Rental of an entire home or dwelling for less than a month is called a short-term rental (STR) or a “vacation rental,” and these types of uses are prohibited in all residential districts. Astoria only allows “vacation rentals” in commercial zones, where hotels/motels are allowed. This helps prioritize housing stock in residential areas for long-term residences and limits the number of vacant second homes in town.

Astoria allows homestay lodging under certain conditions. These short-term rentals require a license to allow one or two bedrooms for rent for less than 30 days, while the homeowner is onsite. This includes rentals known as AirBnB, VRBO, or similar “vacation rental” advertising platforms. Such rental facilities may or may not provide a morning meal. Rooms used by guests may not include a kitchen.

It is unlawful for any person to operate a homestay lodging or list a homestay lodging on an advertising platform without first obtaining a license from the City.

The City’s purpose in regulating homestay lodgings is to allow for economic use of underutilized bedrooms in dwellings and provide financial assistance to preserve both the housing stock and historic properties. The license process ensures that facilities are appropriately located; meet zoning requirements; adhere to safety regulations; and don’t reduce the number of potential long-term housing units.

Click here to begin the application process. pdf Document