The purpose of this procedure is to clearly define the requirements for commercial buildings key boxes including; approve key box types, key box ordering, key box installation, securing of key boxes and updating of existing key boxes.
Astoria Fire Department allows the 3200 Series with hinged doors. The 3200 Series holds ten keys, or usually 1 to 2 sets, and is usually adequate for small buildings.
Key Boxes will be ordered online.
To order online:
- Visit the KnoxBox website:
- Select the Knoxbox from the following:
COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS: KnoxBox Series 3200, model 3261
- Add the selected items to you cart.
- Complete all fields in the Installation Address and Billing information screens and confirm purchase. KnoxBoxes will be shipped to your address.
- Upon notification that a KnoxBox has been ordered, the Astoria Fire Department will notify the contact email on the application with information on securing the KnoxBox after it is installed.
- When the KnoxBox is received, proceed to next section for installation instructions.
- The KnoxBox should be mounted no higher than six feet to the left of the main entry door. If you have questions, you can contact the fire department for suggestions at 503-325-2345.
- Installation shall comply with the mounting instructions included with the KnoxBox.
- Assemble and label all of the following keys for placement into the KnoxBox:
Master key (green label): If a master key is not available provides keys for access to all entrances, mechanical rooms, electrical rooms, roof access and other areas at the discretion of the fire code official.
Fire alarm key(s) (red label) – if applicable
Padlock key(s) – if applicable
Elevator key (blue label) – if applicable
Pass key or access control card (white label) – if applicable
- Multiple sets of keys shall be required for large, multi-story or multi-tenant buildings and may require a larger KnoxBox:
1-2 stories 1 set
3-4 stories 2 sets
5 and more stories 4 sets
- Ensure you have the front cover plate for the KnoxBox ready.
- Contact Astoria Fire Department at 503-325-2345 or by email at email@example.com
- The fire department will set up an appointment to close up the KnoxBox.
- The fire department will verify keys and labeling and then lock the KnoxBox.
Change of Locks
Any change of locks or keys shall require the owner/occupant to provide new keys to the fire department. To have keys added or replace please follow the procedure below:
- Contact Astoria Fire Department at 503-325-2345.
- The fire department will set up an appointment to change the keys.
- The fire department will verify keys and labeling and lock the box.